Tuesday, April 3, 2012

No, yuh riddy riddy white!


Here’s a rundown of the things I have not used as of yet, the things I wish I had brought with me, and the stuff that came in super handy:

Not used:
Mostly games (cards, story cubes)- I really thought I would need these to break the ice with the other trainees, but it turns out that Peace Corps already had plenty of painful “get to know you” activities planned. I think I will use them with di pickney (kids) soon though.
Bible- carried it to church once but it didn’t matter because theirs was so different. I guess it still earned me some church cred.

Wish I had brought:
Strappy sandals-everyone wears them because it’s like walking on the sun to wear closed shoes, and PC lied about them not being appropriate so I just bought some (for only J$1950!)
School supplies- I didn’t think through the fact that we are students for 9.5 weeks. Whoops. Luckily these aren’t too expensive here either.
 More spanx/flexees- can we say sweat rash between my legs?
The game set- this will be invaluable when teaching children logic (hint, hint Maurer please send it to me)

Soooo glad I brought:
My external hard drive -for movies/work out videos/ music etc., even though I didn’t bring that many movies other people did and we share. Yippee.
Tons of clothes- you all thought I would regret that but the only stuff I haven’t worn yet is my sweaters because it isn’t hurricane season yet.
Hairspray- Mo you tried to stop me and I am so glad you failed. Talk about frizz!
Jewelry- they all think I’m stylie. HAH I win.
7 nail polishes- some of you thought this was too much, but let me tell you Jamaicans are more into mani/pedis than I ever could be, and that’s really saying something.  I could have used some brighter colors though. Sidenote: Oddly, many people here grow out their toenails which make mine look short and stumpy.

Speaking of things that surprised me, I have to admit that I thought my fellow Peace Corps Trainees would be cut from the same cloth as me.  It’s amazing how different we all are, and while I’m trying to learn about them and embrace our diversity it’s hard to spend so much time with 34 other people you just met.  On Sunday we arrived at our Hub training site where we will spend the next 5 weeks.  This is where the three sector groups (Education, Agriculture, and Youth Development) are split up into different rural communities and get specific training in the area that we each will be primarily working in.  I am really enjoying the cooler mountain air, going to sleep to the serenade of crickets, and waking up to the roosters crowing as well as working with a more manageable group of 10 other people.
I am really missing my first host family and community, though.  They taught me more Patois than I could have learned in a month in class, and also gave me the inside scoop on what Jamaicans really think about a plethora of issues.  Not to mention they made me feel at home in a foreign country.  The host families had a going away party for us trainees on Saturday complete with chicken foot soup, festival (fried dough), a VERY sweet punch and of course tons of reggae.  We danced and sang and hugged until we couldn’t hug any more.  Here are a few pics.
 My new hero, Joan.
 Most of group 83 partying it up, Jamaica style.
My host family #1
One of the highlights of our second community so far has been learning that all of the streets (with no street signs) have at least two names: one for a person who probably lived on that road hundreds of years ago and one for the main attraction of that road.  For example, Louise Road is named after the Louise family who used to live there, but everyone calls it Clinic Road because that’s where the clinic is.   You wouldn’t believe how complicated this can make things, especially when everyone speaks a language you can hardly understand to begin with. 
Even better than that was when I stopped off at the grocery store today after class to pick up a couple items and walked home alone.  This must be the first time I have walked alone in Jamaica because I have never gotten so much attention in my life!  I had the great fortune of happening upon the high school by my house letting out as I walked by, which amounted to hundreds of Jamaican adolescents yelling things like “Whitey!” and “Babi luv” (from the boys) at me.  One girl nearly fell down in the street when she saw me.  I believe I said “Good Evening” at least 4 dozen times, and when I replied to what must have been the hundredth “Whitey” with “Yes, I am white” I got “No, yuh riddy riddy white” in return.  Confirmed: I am translucent.  Lucky for me tans are not coveted in this country. 

Until next time,
B

No comments:

Post a Comment