Saturday, July 7, 2012

It's gonna be a great 2 years


Here are some questions and statements Jamaicans have said to me that are actually all English words, but definitely required some further explanation:

“Miss, yuh a wear test glass?” = “Miss, do you wear glasses?”
“You can share your lunch?” = “Can you serve yourself?” (p.s. my response to this question was, “Umm, with whom?”)
“Miss, how many parts of your ear are bore?” = “Miss, how many times are your ears pierced?”
“Make me left the car, carry come.”= “Allow me to exit the car and I will bring it back to you.”
“Miss Young is soooo fat.” = Ok, this one means exactly what it sounds like, except that it’s not meant in a derogatory way.   It is meant in a way that the person saying it to me wishes she was as fat as me.  Sometimes I can’t believe this is true, but take it from me: in this country I am the ideal body type.  Here, the whiter and fatter you are the better.  It just blows my mind because in America the tanner and thinner you are the better.  I seriously have women stop me on the street to tell me they “like my shape”.  Wow.  I effing love this place.

I recently had a chance to go to a club in Ocho Rios (affectionately coined Ochi by the locals).  Ochi is a resort town, but not the most popular one by far.  I was there on a Wednesday night with my PCV friend Claire, and at this particular club that means J$1000 (about US$12) buys you all you can drink.  For that reason, this is the night the Jamaicans come out to dance, or rather dagger.  Daggering is a very sexual way of dancing which sometimes involves people jumping from the top of a 20 foot sound system onto their partner.  I suggest searching “daggering” on youtube to fully understand it.  I did not get altogether daggered thankfully, but I did learn that if you simply stand in a spot where your backside is exposed someone (or several someones) will just dance up on you.  This cannot be avoided, save leaning up against a pillar or the bar.  It will take approximately 30 seconds for you to get a Jamaican “tail”, as I call it, if you try to dance with female friends alone.  Overall it ended up being a really fun night and the best part was lying in Claire’s driveway looking at all the stars that I could never see in NYC or even Santa Cruz, for that matter.  The whole sky seemed to glow.

Today was one of those days when I loved everything Jamaican.  The kids learned the things I taught them with record breaking speed, I didn’t leave school with a headache from their screaming, plants looked more lush than usual, I got a good sized seat in the taxi, hell -even the smelly man sitting next to me couldn’t get me down.  I love this kind of day, and lawd gawd I need them sometimes after all the uncomfortable unfamiliarity’s of Jamrock. 

School has just finished for the year, and I’m looking forward to a more relaxed summer comprised of short (9-noon) summer school days and some free time to set up my classroom.    Even after being at my site less than 2 months I know I’m really going to miss the school leavers.  I made it my aim to get to know the kids as fast as I could, and I have successfully learned at least 2/3 of the students names at my school as well as discovered a great deal about them and, in turn, Jamaican culture.  I have a feeling it’s gonna be a great 2 years.  I’ll sign off with some pics of the school leaving ceremony.

The choir
The school leavers

The Board

The cultural item (a dance)

3 comments:

  1. Great pictures. I love the sound of leavers and school leavings instead of graduates and graduation. It sounds so casual and almost flippant.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It’s never too early to think about the Third Goal. Check out Peace Corps Experience: Write & Publish Your Memoir. Oh! If you want a good laugh about what PC service was like in a Spanish-speaking country back in the 1970’s, read South of the Frontera: A Peace Corps Memoir.

    ReplyDelete